Monday, December 13, 2010

Tonya "Beyonce" Clackum of The Rickey Smiley Morning Show

Bama Boys Entertainment: How has radio changed over the past 5 years?

Tonya "Beyonce" Clackum: I think it is actually more music driven. With Arbitron (a media and marketing research firm) changing from survey booklets to actual PPM (Portable People Meter), it has made stations far more music intensive.

Bama Boys Entertainment: What are your thoughts on the Performance Rights Act legislation?

Tonya "Beyonce" Clackum: Well, from my understanding and this side of the board, I do not feel as if it is a good thing. It is an additional tax on music that stations would have to pay to the artists and record labels. But the thing is, we already pay....And I think this additional charge could have a bad chain reaction.

Bama Boys Entertainment: What do you feel contributed to Soulja Boy's low sales numbers?

Tonya "Beyonce" Clackum: Not sure, I mean it is hard to read sales in today's market because are you looking at the big picture for all sales. Plus, I don't really feel as if he had a solid single out and there have been alot of really big albums dropping these past weeks.

Bama Boys Entertainment: Speak on your path to becoming a radio personality.

Tonya "Beyonce" Clackum: I was in High School in Marietta, GA and started an internship here at Hot 97.5 (before the name change) in 1998. Ryan Cameron gave me a shot as his intern/assistant in 2000 and of course came up with my moniker "Beyonce Alowishus I'm Sorry" because he said I kept messing up and saying "I'm Sorry." So, I then started doing my own on-air shifts over nights and on weekends. And then was a member of the A-Team Morning Show, and now currently with the Rickey Smiley Morning Show. Life is good. I have been beyond blessed in this industry and I am truly thankful for all of the amazing opportunities I have been blessed with here at Radio One. The A-Team was such an experience because we actually had to build and create our own show (Rashan Ali, CJ, Akini and Griff). But it was definitely fun times. Now, working with Rickey is amazing. You also have Ebony, Headkrack, Rock T, Special K, Gary with the T, Juicy , Hollywood, and Chica. Again, I can't be more thankful to work with such great people.

Bama Boys Entertainment: What song or album can you not go without listening to throughout the day?

Tonya "Beyonce" Clackum: Um, there is not a favorite song or artist for me, I love music. I am a big B.O.B supporter though. I really love his music. But I like everything from Hip Hop to Rock. I am a music lover.

Bama Boys Entertainment: Being into technology and gadgets, what is the hot item for this Christmas season?

Tonya "Beyonce" Clackum: 100 percent, the iPad and the Xbox Kinnect. I have the Kinnect and me and my younger sisters (12,16, and 20) play it all the time. It is a great family party game.

Bama Boys Entertainment: The radio play list can sometimes become repetitive. How can listeners get their favorite artists played that aren't as popular as say Rick Ross or T.I.?

Tonya "Beyonce" Clackum: Well, here at Hot we have a great programming team who actually meets with local artists and hold a DJ meeting weekly to find out what's hot in the clubs and do alot of research, which includes a database of daily requests that the listeners call in and request. We have actually broken alot of national artists here. If you think about it, Rick Ross and T.I. were first played here in Atlanta on Hot.

Bama Boys Entertainment: What has been your most enjoyable interview?

Tonya "Beyonce" Clackum: I have lucked up and had some pretty awesome interviews over the years. Suge Knight was an interesting one, Snoop was fun, T.I. always drops the bizz, But the most incredible was Barack Obama.

Bama Boys Entertainment: Emperor Searcy was recently awarded a community service award at the March of Dimes Achievement in Radio Awards. In what ways are other Hot 107.9 personalities involved in the community?

Tonya "Beyonce" Clackum: Well, everyone contributes alot of time and effort to the community in their own way. Some are heavy in the schools with various outreach programs and so fourth. And then as a team, we are also working on some kind of effort to give back whether it's bullying in our schools, Hosea Feed The Hungry, Toy Drives.... and more. But the community here is our top priority. We don't do it for recognition or accolades, we just genuinely want to do what ever we can to help those who need help.

Follow Tonya on Twitter @Beyonceatl and check out the Rickey Smiley Morning Show online at www.http://hotspotatl.com/, every weekday from 6 to 10 am.

No comments:

Post a Comment