Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I Have The Recipe

When I hear a song for the first time, I ususally know right away if it's going to be a smash. Sometimes I'm wrong but 90% of the time I am correct. What let's me know a song is a hit...the song's ingredients. Check out this example. Take Ne-Yo's song "So Sick". It didn't sound like anything on the radio at that time. The production was different and the lyrics were unique. The song also appealed to women. Can't go wrong with that. I don't think Ne-Yo set out to create something similar to the millions of cookie cutter songs out there. He didn't fall into the "I want a song like Joe Smoe" mode that most artists give in to. I guess the point of this post is to say that the music industry lacks creativity as a whole. Who wants to buy music if every song sounds the same. I also think that many of the established and big artists in the game will fall off if they don't change their recipe. Ok, you sold millions in the past but if you become predictable, fans will stop buying your music. Eminem has a formula. Rick Ross has a formula. Ja Rule had a formula. I expected Eminem's new record, "We Made You". This song takes shots at people and is radio friendly, not to mention a funny video. He is following his normal formula. His next single will probably be something serious or dark like "Stan". If that works, ride it until the wheels fall off. But don't get stuck like Ja Rule...he can't put the wheels back on. I'm not saying anything is wrong with this but how long will the fans stick around. I feel that artists should mix it up a little. Lil Wayne is doing rock. The fans will check this out even if it's out of curiosity. Kanye's recent album was different. Most of 2Pac's albums were different than the previous one. Get the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment