Monday, March 22, 2010

Why songs sound similar

I still consider myself new at beat making and I am absorbing everything possible to get better. I read books, I scour the internet, and most of all I listen to alot of music of different varieties. I am always saying that certain songs sound alike and I just put two and two together. It's the chords. I want to begin using more chords in my compositions but at first I felt as if learning chords would be a hugely challenging task until I saw this video. They guy is playing minor chords and points out that alot of songs use the same chords. Now the light bulb is coming on over my head...I can learn one chord progression at a time and make several songs before I move on to learning the next chord. Might not mean much to seasoned producers but for those just starting out, learning some minor chords might give them a boost of confidence in their production skills.


No comments:

Post a Comment